Helmholtz Institute has 50th anniversary!
50 years ago today, “Forschungsgesellschaft für Biomedizinische Technik “, based in Aachen, was entered in the register of associations under the number 1431. According to the bylaws, the purpose of the association was the establishment and maintenance of an interdisciplinary department to be called the "Helmholtz Institute".
The first director of the Helmholtz Institute Aachen (HIA for short) was Prof. Sven Effert. In 1976 Prof. Rau took over the management of the scientific-technical section of the institute and became managing director.
Initially, research was carried out at Goethestraße 27/29, until the institute moved to the newly built University Hospital Aachen in 1984.
1994 was the opening of the current HIA building in Pauwelsstraße 20.
A major research focus even then was on Biomechanics (today's CVE) and Biophysical Measurement Technology (today's RPE).
The HIA has grown steadily since then and was fundamentally restructured in 2001 along with the integration into RWTH Aachen University.
Today, the HIA houses seven institutes from four faculties.
More about research at the HIA can be found here.
We are looking forward to many more years of successful disciplinary research.